Excited to see Colin Farrell play the bad boy of the ancient world in Oliver Stone’s Alexander when it opens this Thanksgiving? MGM Home Entertainment also hopes you’re slightly deranged — at least enough to be confused by the appearance of a movie called Alexander the Great in video stores. Same topic, similar titles, and, look, there’s a rising young rebel thespian from the British Isles with a ludicrous blond dye job as the Macedonian who would be god! The difference is that this Alexander is played by Richard Burton, and he looks mortified. Robert Rossen’s sword-and-sandal epic is opulent, chatty, and fascinatingly stiff, as if a bunch of grown men had been handed togas and told to play dress-up. Still, if it’s not good history — weren’t there three major battles in Persia rather than two? — it’s great CinemaScope. A few years earlier, Rossen had left Hollywood after naming names for HUAC, and the director’s penchant for scenes of intense emotional confrontation takes over the first half of Alexander. With our petulant young hero chafing under the reins of his warrior father, Philip (Fredric March), and hubba-hubba mother, Olympias (”the French Star Danielle Darrieux,” according to the credits), it could be Rebel Without a Chariot. Eventually the son gets his own monomaniacal campaign to wage, and much fake blood is spilt, but Burton never registers much enjoyment in the dispatching of lesser men and nations. It’s a closeted performance in both the characterization and the playing, with the conqueror brooding cryptically over lissome pals like Cleitus (Gustavo Rojo) and Hephaestion (Ricardo Valle). Compared with what Stone is supposedly up to, this one might as well be called Alexander the Straight.
Alexander the Great (Movie - 1956) Excited to see Colin Farrell play the bad boy of the ancient world in Oliver Stone's Alexander when it opens this Thanksgiving? MGM Home ...Alexander the Great (Movie - 1956)Unrated Excited to see Colin Farrell play the bad boy of the ancient world in Oliver Stone's Alexander when it opens this Thanksgiving? MGM Home ...2004-10-22
Starring: Richard Burton; Director: Robert Rossen; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted October 22 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Watch the exclusive teaser for 'Documentary Now!'
- Ice Cube to bring hip-hop 'Hollywood Squares' to VH1
- Mila Kunis bought her $90 wedding band on Etsy
- Director Edgar Wright shares his 1,000 favorite films
- Pink Floyd announce massive 27-disc collection covering 1965 to 1972
- MTV classics 'Laguna Beach,' 'Daria,' and more coming back to cable
- M.I.A. slams MTV VMAs for 'racism sexism classism elitism'
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?