If there’s one thing we’ve learned from West Side Story, the ”Beat It” video, and that reported Britney-Justin club encounter of ‘02, it’s that no one can resist a heated dance-off. The latest candidate in that pantheon: syndicated series Dance 360, a cult phenom since its August debut in 13 cities. (Check out dance360.net for local listings.) Each episode, a couple of hosts pluck six people of varying ethnicities and sartorial dispositions from the audience to feverishly freestyle solo, then mano a mano, to the beat-ific scratchings of DJ K-Sly (who’s female! And Korean-American!). Hitting the scene are folks like J-Mitch from Santa Barbara, who masterfully works a magician’s wand into his jig, or Chadd (that’s right, two ds), a hipster who goes surprisingly far with his ironic use of the robot. But it’s the underdogs who give the show its true appeal, among them San Fernando’s Paul, boasting that he’s ”representin’ 818” — perhaps forgetting, as his moves will later suggest, that the 818 is in the Valley — and Sandra from Malibu, a baby-faced firecracker breakin’ like the junk in her trunk’s for sale. Audience applause determines the winner of each dance-off, and the last player standing makes off with an Xbox, some of the sponsors’ swag, and the thriftily apropos sum of $360. Not exactly the booty worthy of this shake-down — but, really, you can’t put a price on honor.
Posted October 22 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Les Miserables' actor Kyle-Jean Baptiste dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!