Noted children’s book author Madonna is about to embark on another kid-friendly project. According to the Hollywood Reporter, she’ll make her cartoon debut in Arthur, an $80 million computer-animated feature due in 2006. It’s the story of a 10-year-old boy who tries to save his grandfather’s house from developers by embarking on a quest for hidden treasure in the land of the Minimoys, a race of tiny folk who live in harmony with nature. Madonna’s role is Princess Selenia, who accompanies Arthur to a forbidden city where a villainous creature lives. The film is based on a series of children’s books by Luc Besson, who will also direct the movie. We’d never have figured Besson, best known as the director and producer of hyper-violent films like La Femme Nikita, for a children’s story author; we figured his idea of a story for kids was The Professional, the 1994 Besson movie that starred a pre-pubescent Natalie Portman as a little girl who bonds with a contract killer after corrupt cops massacre her family. Of course, a few years ago, we wouldn’t have imagined that Madonna would turn her attention to kiddie lit either.
Posted October 22 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday