Following last year’s haunted house/serial killer thriller lost boy, lost girl, Peter Straub picks up again with semi-regular writer protagonist Tim Underhill, who glimpses the spirit of his deceased sister shortly before his Microsoft Outlook in-box is flooded with messages from the dead. As if that weren’t enough, a character from his novel-in-progress crosses over into the real world. Underhill has little trouble accepting this crush of outlandish occurrences, but readers might, especially when Straub throws in an avenging angel and an evil Dark Man while philosophizing about authorial responsibility to one’s characters. The point at which In the Night Room loses it: a seven-page e-mail from a spirit guide that painfully approximates instant-message-speak. Yes, it’s the 21st century, but doesn’t anybody write bloody messages on walls anymore?
In the Night Room Following last year's haunted house/serial killer thriller lost boy, lost girl, Peter Straub picks up again with semi-regular writer...In the Night RoomFictionPeter Straub Following last year's haunted house/serial killer thriller lost boy, lost girl, Peter Straub picks up again with semi-regular writer...2004-10-22Random House
Genre: Fiction; Author: Peter Straub; Status: In Season; Publisher: Random House
Posted October 22 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Creators Robert and Michelle King talk 'The Good Wife' return
- Mad Max collector's edition Blu-ray: Exclusive release details
- Missy Elliott and Pharrell are in the studio together
- See Eddie Redmayne in his next big role as Lili Elbe in The Danish Girl
- Carlton Cuse looks back on his long and unique career
- Kanye apology to Beck, Bruno Mars
- Carly Rae Jepsen returns with 'I Really Like You'--and Tom Hanks?!
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!