In The Pacific, Mark Helprin reaffirms his place as our most elegant moralist. Set in Italy, France, Israel, California, and New York during times of war and peace, these 16 stories feature mostly self-made men who are builders, soldiers, seekers, and without knowing it, experts on the ineffable. In ”Il Colore Ritrovato,” an aged Italian opera impresario spares a gifted young diva from a life poisoned by fame, and in the aptly titled ”Perfection,” a Hasidic student living in 1950s Brooklyn embarks on a divine quest to ”the House of Ruth” to lend aid to the failing ”Yenkiss.” Helprin’s range is staggering, but no more so than the convincing, unsentimental case he makes for the importance of honor. Even in this day and age.
The Pacific In The Pacific, Mark Helprin reaffirms his place as our most elegant moralist. Set in Italy, France, Israel, California, and New York...The PacificFictionMark Helprin In The Pacific, Mark Helprin reaffirms his place as our most elegant moralist. Set in Italy, France, Israel, California, and New York...2004-10-22Penguin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Mark Helprin; Publisher: Penguin
Posted October 22 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!