An odd amalgam of high spirits, lively ambition, and botched execution. It’s the 1660s, when women aren’t allowed to appear on stage and audiences line up to see Edward Kynaston (Billy Crudup) play Desdemona. The movie tends to drag the moment it’s out of drag.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Billy Crudup, Claire Danes, Tom Wilkinson, Ben Chaplin, Rupert Everett; Director: Richard Eyre; Author: Jeffrey Hatcher; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 22 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Dave Grohl covers Neil Young with members of Blind Melon and Pearl Jam
- 'Boulevard' director on working with Robin Williams: 'I couldn't have loved him more'
- 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' exclusive images
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Katherine Howe's ghostly love story 'The Appearance of Annie Van Sinderen'
- Chinese filmmaker denies ripping off 'Cars'
- Watch your emotions get dramatic in 'Inside Out' and 'Inception' mashup trailer
- 'Doctor Who' stars lend voices to 'Lego Dimensions' game
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!