In addition to being the author of The Story of My Baldness, Marek van der Jagt is its narrator. Also, he does not exist. The best-selling Dutch novelist Arnon Grunberg, acting with a prankishness variously clever and empty, has invented Marek, a droopy philosophy student in Vienna, in the service of a loose, mildly surreal anti-coming-of-age tale (supposedly translated by one ”Dr. Todd Armstrong”). The hero’s obsession, sexually and intellectually, is mad love. ”L’amour fou was a little like the flames of purgatory,” he proclaims. ”You had to be consumed in order to emerge purified.” Marek’s voice, at once clinical and adolescent, is what gives his romantic misadventures (first kiss, deflowering, anxiety about physical endowment) their fun air of droll farce.
The Story of My Baldness In addition to being the author of The Story of My Baldness, Marek van der Jagt is its narrator. Also, he does not exist. The best...The Story of My BaldnessFictionMarek van der Jagt In addition to being the author of The Story of My Baldness, Marek van der Jagt is its narrator. Also, he does not exist. The best...2004-10-22Other Press
Genre: Fiction; Author: Marek van der Jagt; Publisher: Other Press
Posted October 22 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Amber Heard’s lawyer addresses Johnny Depp domestic violence claims
- What to Watch Tuesday: Peek at Cillian Murphy in 'Peaky Blinders'
- Neil Gaiman talks 'The View from the Cheap Seats' and 'American Gods'
- John Carpenter's 'The Thing' getting Blu-ray collector's edition release
- Jack White wrote the theme song for 'Maya and Marty'
- 'The A Word': See exclusive teaser for family comedy about autism
- Kaley Cuoco slams Cincinnati Zoo for shooting gorilla
- The Best 'Bachelor' and 'Bachelorette' Jobs
- Disney Classics Making New Magic On Screen
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos