In addition to being the author of The Story of My Baldness, Marek van der Jagt is its narrator. Also, he does not exist. The best-selling Dutch novelist Arnon Grunberg, acting with a prankishness variously clever and empty, has invented Marek, a droopy philosophy student in Vienna, in the service of a loose, mildly surreal anti-coming-of-age tale (supposedly translated by one ”Dr. Todd Armstrong”). The hero’s obsession, sexually and intellectually, is mad love. ”L’amour fou was a little like the flames of purgatory,” he proclaims. ”You had to be consumed in order to emerge purified.” Marek’s voice, at once clinical and adolescent, is what gives his romantic misadventures (first kiss, deflowering, anxiety about physical endowment) their fun air of droll farce.
The Story of My Baldness In addition to being the author of The Story of My Baldness, Marek van der Jagt is its narrator. Also, he does not exist. The best...The Story of My BaldnessFictionMarek van der Jagt In addition to being the author of The Story of My Baldness, Marek van der Jagt is its narrator. Also, he does not exist. The best...2004-10-22Other Press
Genre: Fiction; Author: Marek van der Jagt; Publisher: Other Press
Posted October 22 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!