A celebrated food writer for the U.K.’s Observer, Nigel Slater spent his childhood obsessed with treats like fairy cakes and candy floss. And though he does provide a glossary for Yanks — cupcakes and cotton candy, incidentally — no translation is needed for this unassuming autobiography. At its sweet heart, Toast is a stirring tale of a troubled childhood, strung together by memorable meals both appetizing and revolting: Mum (who died when he was 9) mixing a Christmas cake, Dad force-feeding him eggs. Walnut whips were his dessert of choice while spying on secret lovers; medium-rare filet got him laid. And toast? It’s Slater’s ultimate comfort food; he adores its ”rough, toasted crust,” the ”doughy cushion” beneath, and its ”warm, salty” butter topping. ”It is impossible,” he declares, ”not to love someone who makes toast for you.”
Toast A celebrated food writer for the U.K.'s Observer, Nigel Slater spent his childhood obsessed with treats like fairy cakes and candy floss. And ...ToastNonfictionNigel Slater A celebrated food writer for the U.K.'s Observer, Nigel Slater spent his childhood obsessed with treats like fairy cakes and candy floss. And ...2004-10-22Gotham
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Nigel Slater; Publisher: Gotham
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!