A celebrated food writer for the U.K.’s Observer, Nigel Slater spent his childhood obsessed with treats like fairy cakes and candy floss. And though he does provide a glossary for Yanks — cupcakes and cotton candy, incidentally — no translation is needed for this unassuming autobiography. At its sweet heart, Toast is a stirring tale of a troubled childhood, strung together by memorable meals both appetizing and revolting: Mum (who died when he was 9) mixing a Christmas cake, Dad force-feeding him eggs. Walnut whips were his dessert of choice while spying on secret lovers; medium-rare filet got him laid. And toast? It’s Slater’s ultimate comfort food; he adores its ”rough, toasted crust,” the ”doughy cushion” beneath, and its ”warm, salty” butter topping. ”It is impossible,” he declares, ”not to love someone who makes toast for you.”
Toast A celebrated food writer for the U.K.'s Observer, Nigel Slater spent his childhood obsessed with treats like fairy cakes and candy floss. And ...ToastNonfictionNigel Slater A celebrated food writer for the U.K.'s Observer, Nigel Slater spent his childhood obsessed with treats like fairy cakes and candy floss. And ...2004-10-22Gotham
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Nigel Slater; Publisher: Gotham
Posted October 22 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!