NBC and ABC are both rushing to produce longform TV projects based on the year’s most unlikely bestseller. That would be The 9/11 Commission Report, the official government account of the security failures that led up to the terrorist attacks. Since the book is in the public domain, both networks are free to adapt it, though NBC may make it out of the gate first. The network announced Wednesday that its project will be a miniseries written and produced by Graham Yost, who won an Emmy for similar duties on HBO’s miniseries From the Earth to the Moon. (Yost also wrote Speed, so he knows how to write about bombers terrorizing civilians.) Yost’s miniseries would focus on the events leading up to the attacks, as well as the individual acts of heroism that followed. ABC has yet to announce the details of its project, but Variety reports that the network has been shopping a project based on The 9/11 Report to producers, with the hope of making a miniseries or an epic-minded single TV movie along the lines of And the Band Played On, the HBO movie that detailed the early years of the AIDS epidemic in America. According to Variety, the network could announce the details of its 9/11 production within days. As for CBS, it’s content to stick with fictional disasters; next month, it airs the two-part miniseries Category 6: Day of Destruction, about a Perfect Storm-type weather event that threatens to kill millions in the Chicago area. Where’s Al Roker when you need him?
Posted October 28 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Once Upon a Time' promo reveals heartbreaking death
- Jack Black meets the cast of Broadway's 'School of Rock'
- See Ellen DeGeneres scare Chris Evans and Elizabeth Olsen
- See the Dixie Chicks cover Beyoncé's 'Daddy Lessons'
- New 'Call of Duty' teasers warn of a new enemy
- Beyoncé scores her sixth No. 1 album with 'Lemonade'
- Zac Efron once cried to try to get out of a ticket
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch