In Cutty, One Rock’s nine wry, off-kilter essays, San Francisco poet August Kleinzahler recalls his 1950s New Jersey childhood, riding the bus in San Diego, the unique pleasure of watching ”a good-looking young woman eat,” and, movingly, his older brother’s suicide. Casually erudite and self-deprecating (”I myself resemble a dissipated accountant who worked some years as a hod carrier in his youth”), Kleinzahler is at his best writing about boozy eccentrics and gritty street life. His dry, lovely tribute to an old San Francisco bar ranks with Joseph Mitchell’s classic McSorley’s Wonderful Saloon.
Cutty, One Rock In Cutty, One Rock's nine wry, off-kilter essays, San Francisco poet August Kleinzahler recalls his 1950s New Jersey childhood, riding...Cutty, One RockNonfictionAugust Kleinzahler In Cutty, One Rock's nine wry, off-kilter essays, San Francisco poet August Kleinzahler recalls his 1950s New Jersey childhood, riding...2004-10-29Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: August Kleinzahler; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted October 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...