Channeling Watergate whistleblower Martha ”Mouth of the South” Mitchell, stage vet Judith Ivey hams handily, often poignantly, as the boozy spouse of Attorney General John Mitchell — the lady who proved old-fashioned, all-American gossip and eavesdropping could over-match electronic paranoia and Nixonian black-bag bullying. Ivey pinballs Mitchell’s clanging-brass complexities — her prom-queen conservatism versus her ornery, instinctual libertarianism — off every corner of the crumbling bedroom set. Too bad, then, that John Jeter’s script resists pitting Mitchell’s waning illusions against true darkness, taking more interest in the larger-than-life than the lifelike. The resultant cuh-luh-ful quality, against a backdrop of grainy newsreels, makes Dirty Tricks feel a bit like drag night with the Capitol Steps.
Dirty Tricks Channeling Watergate whistleblower Martha ''Mouth of the South'' Mitchell, stage vet Judith Ivey hams handily, often poignantly, as the boozy spouse...Dirty TricksJohn Jeter Channeling Watergate whistleblower Martha ''Mouth of the South'' Mitchell, stage vet Judith Ivey hams handily, often poignantly, as the boozy spouse...2004-10-29
Starring: Judith Ivey; Author: John Jeter; Opening Date: 10/20/2004
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!