Making The Misfits — the rangy Western Arthur Miller wrote for then wife Marilyn Monroe — ended the playwright’s marriage and his innocence 44 years ago. Now, Miller elevates that incident to myth, with results both transfixing and preposterous. Cartoon versions of Misfits director John Huston (Harris Yulin), Miller himself (Matthew Modine), and hated ”Method” Svengalis Lee and Paula Strasberg (Stephen Lang and Linda Lavin, so good they make defamatory caricature look artistically responsible) roam vast, hotel-suite wastes, intoning nebulous notions of exploitation and endemic guilt — a scrapbook of vintage Miller themes. Yet Finishing the Picture doesn’t feel like a summing-up, just high-blown belly-aching, directed at manic movie star Kitty, whose voice we hear only in brief shrieks and mumbles. It’s a fascinating mess treated as comic passion play, which explains why Scott Glenn has the most fun, embodying a boorish cinematographer with a buttock-based theory of film. The play at large could have benefited from his limber unselfconsciousness.
Finishing the Picture Making The Misfits — the rangy Western Arthur Miller wrote for then wife Marilyn Monroe — ended the playwright's marriage and his...Finishing the PictureArthur Miller Making The Misfits — the rangy Western Arthur Miller wrote for then wife Marilyn Monroe — ended the playwright's marriage and his...2004-10-29Scott GlennStacy KeachStephen LangLinda Lavin
Starring: Matthew Modine, Harris Yulin; Starring: Scott Glenn, Stacy Keach, Stephen Lang, Linda Lavin; Author: Arthur Miller; Opening Date: 10/05/2004
Posted October 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'
- Julie Chen on 'Big Brother' showmances: 'Go for it!'