For fans of GQ’s globe-trotting restaurant critic, Fork it Over’s collection of essays will be like déjà vu all over again. The ex-sportswriter loves lean sentences built on sharp observation and blustery opinion. He bashes chef Paul Bocuse, the food in Naples, and the over-use of the cheese cart with the same vigor he might reserve for a visiting hockey team. Reading Alan Richman is like taking a brisk walk with a very funny friend. (Number 6 on his 10 reasons why white wine is better than red: Making white wine keeps the Germans distracted.) You just have to overlook the pompous, sexist bits, like admiring Sharon Stone because ”she was a woman who knew how to eat like a man” or joking about an Asian ”date” who picks the seeds from a watermelon slice for him. But when he poignantly recalls his aging mother’s inability to continue working in the kitchen, all is forgiven.
Fork it Over For fans of GQ's globe-trotting restaurant critic, Fork it Over's collection of essays will be like déjà vu all...Fork it OverNonfictionAlan Richman For fans of GQ's globe-trotting restaurant critic, Fork it Over's collection of essays will be like déjà vu all...2004-10-29HarperCollins
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Alan Richman; Status: In Season; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted October 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Jem and the Holograms' first photo from fall movie
- 'Into the Woods' 'lost' Meryl Streep song: Watch the deleted scene here
- Alesso drops 'Cool' music video
- Scream Factory to release 'Mad Max' collector's edition Blu-ray
- Margot Robbie learns flip cup, beats Jimmy Fallon anyway
- Neill Blomkamp says he 'didn't make a good enough film' with 'Elysium'
- Exclusive: First look at Carly Rae Jepsen's new video, "I Really Like You"
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!