For fans of GQ’s globe-trotting restaurant critic, Fork it Over’s collection of essays will be like déjà vu all over again. The ex-sportswriter loves lean sentences built on sharp observation and blustery opinion. He bashes chef Paul Bocuse, the food in Naples, and the over-use of the cheese cart with the same vigor he might reserve for a visiting hockey team. Reading Alan Richman is like taking a brisk walk with a very funny friend. (Number 6 on his 10 reasons why white wine is better than red: Making white wine keeps the Germans distracted.) You just have to overlook the pompous, sexist bits, like admiring Sharon Stone because ”she was a woman who knew how to eat like a man” or joking about an Asian ”date” who picks the seeds from a watermelon slice for him. But when he poignantly recalls his aging mother’s inability to continue working in the kitchen, all is forgiven.
Fork it Over For fans of GQ's globe-trotting restaurant critic, Fork it Over's collection of essays will be like déjà vu all...Fork it OverNonfictionAlan Richman For fans of GQ's globe-trotting restaurant critic, Fork it Over's collection of essays will be like déjà vu all...2004-10-29HarperCollins
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Alan Richman; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted October 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Fifth Harmony rock out in a haunted hotel in 'I'm in Love With a Monster' video
- 'Bones' taps Betty White as new squintern
- Angelina Jolie Pitt's 'By the Sea' will open AFI Fest
- George R. R. Martin says Stannis is still alive — in the books
- Michelle Pfeiffer to play Bernie Madoff's wife in HBO's 'Wizard of Lies'
- Post-apocalyptic survivors tool up in exclusive clip from 'Turbo Kid'
- New 'Homeland' season 5 trailer: Carrie can't escape her past
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!