It’s no accident that George Washington comes off a little wooden in history books. This Founding Father carefully positioned himself in life (mounting his white horse on the outskirts of towns in order to make a regal entrance) and in death (his wife destroyed all but three of their private letters) to be more monument than man. But Joseph J. Ellis splendidly dissects Washington’s character and its impact on the not-so-in-evitable birth of a nation, weighing his ever-simmering ambition against his strict self-discipline. Ellis slips up when speculating about Washington’s marriage, dismissing scurrilous historical rumors (ahem, ”George Washington slept here”) without providing specific evidence. But overall, His Excellency provides a fascinating study of the man and his times.
His Excellency It's no accident that George Washington comes off a little wooden in history books. This Founding Father carefully positioned himself in life ...His ExcellencyNonfictionJoseph J. Ellis It's no accident that George Washington comes off a little wooden in history books. This Founding Father carefully positioned himself in life ...2004-10-29Knopf
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Joseph J. Ellis; Publisher: Knopf
Posted October 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!