Myth perpetuates Lucrezia Borgia, 16th-century Duchess of Ferrara, as a vile, scheming floozy with a penchant for political assassination, adultery, and incest. But according to Bradford’s pedantic account, the illegitimate daughter of nefarious Pope Alexander VI was more human — and perhaps more boring — than centuries-old legend would lead you to believe. Using historical documents, including firsthand accounts, Sarah Bradford paints the duchess in Lucrezia Borgia as a fiercely passionate, astute woman with a talent for using her independence, reputation, and sexual prowess to help mend politically fractured Renaissance Italy. Too often, though, the dense, detailed-laden biography buckles under its own weight — do we really need to know how many times she had sex in a night? Some things are better left unsaid.
Lucrezia Borgia Myth perpetuates Lucrezia Borgia, 16th-century Duchess of Ferrara, as a vile, scheming floozy with a penchant for political assassination, adultery, ...Lucrezia BorgiaNonfictionSarah Bradford Myth perpetuates Lucrezia Borgia, 16th-century Duchess of Ferrara, as a vile, scheming floozy with a penchant for political assassination, adultery, ...2004-10-29
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Sarah Bradford
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on sexy, surreal season premiere
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!