The restless, displaced Australians in Janette Turner Hospital’s lush, impenetrable stories are constantly on the move, making connections and then losing them, often drifting out of touch with reality. In ”The Ocean of Brisbane,” old friends Brian and Philippa (who reappear in several eerie, linked tales) return to their hometown for a quick, fraught visit. The haunting ”Night Train” consists of little more than a stop-and-start conversation between their anguished voices in the dark. ”For Mr Voss or Occupant” reads like an abstruse gothic horror story: A divorcée and her daughter move into a house with a creepy history, and the daughter soon disappears. The writing in North of Nowhere, South of Loss is beautiful, but Hospital provides so little exposition that figuring out what’s actually happening is sometimes a serious challenge.
North of Nowhere, South of Loss The restless, displaced Australians in Janette Turner Hospital's lush, impenetrable stories are constantly on the move, making connections and then...North of Nowhere, South of LossFictionJanette Turner Hospital The restless, displaced Australians in Janette Turner Hospital's lush, impenetrable stories are constantly on the move, making connections and then...2004-10-29W.W. Norton
Genre: Fiction; Author: Janette Turner Hospital; Publisher: W.W. Norton
Posted October 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- President Obama talks 'The Wire' with creator David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers won't return; Academy to search for new showrunners
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!