”Forgive me, if nearing life’s end, I see a drama with a tinge, modest, all but ignorable, of the Shakespearean…” writes Hortense Calisher with characteristically swooping sentence structure as she muses on the discovery that her Southern Jewish forebears may have owned slaves. (The tattoo she summons is a bugle call.) Of course the eminent 92-year-old author is forgiven — she’s entitled to backward run her sentences after a long, brilliant career of Jamesian literary construction and Whartonian interest in societal strictures. But the wandering, garlanded narrative style makes this memoir (alternately set in Virginia and New York City) an exceedingly drifty amalgam of rummage and reminiscence. ”About family history one always wants to know more,” she avers. On the particular family in Tattoo For A Slave, it depends.
Tattoo for a Slave ''Forgive me, if nearing life's end, I see a drama with a tinge, modest, all but ignorable, of the Shakespearean...'' writes Hortense Calisher with ...Tattoo for a SlaveNonfictionHortense Calisher ''Forgive me, if nearing life's end, I see a drama with a tinge, modest, all but ignorable, of the Shakespearean...'' writes Hortense Calisher with ...2004-10-29Harcourt
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Hortense Calisher; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted October 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!