About 30 or 40 showbiz commandments get shattered by The Ten Commandments at Hollywood’s Kodak Theatre, but let’s start with one: Thou shalt not cast a celeb non-singer as the lead in a sung-through musical. There may be biblical verisimilitude in having a pitch-challenged Val Kilmer as Moses — the good book describes him as an awkward orator — but you’ve got a crucial mismatch when the deeper-lunged supporting players belt out applause-baiting, angst-laden ballads as if auditioning for Israeli Idol. Unlike DreamWorks’ ‘toon version, where Kilmer voiced God and Moses, the Almighty doesn’t get any lines, or many allusions — leaving scant indication why that bush is burning or where those commandments came from, amid a post-9/11 emphasis on humanism and tolerance. One waits in vain for Kilmer to break into his old Top Secret! song: ”How Silly Can You Get?”
The Ten Commandments About 30 or 40 showbiz commandments get shattered by The Ten Commandments at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre, but let's start with one: Thou...The Ten Commandments About 30 or 40 showbiz commandments get shattered by The Ten Commandments at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre, but let's start with one: Thou...2004-10-29
Starring: Val Kilmer; Opening Date: 09/21/2004
Posted October 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- Andrew Garfield compares making 'Spider-Man' movies to 'canning Coke'
- 'Under the Dome' will end this season
- Maisie Williams accepts Guinness World Record on behalf of 'Game of Thrones'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!