The blame for Ashlee Simpson’s Oct. 23 Saturday Night Live lip-synching has been cast far and wide…but bad behavior starts at home. Simpson’s manager dad, Joe, says the meltdown occurred because Ashlee was suffering from acid reflux that made her unable to sing without the aid of a backing vocal track (but didn’t seem to prevent her from clowning brassily with host Jude Law in the opener) and her drummer forgot to reset the track after the first song. ”We’re all fallible,” Joe says. ”We put ourselves on TV and show our flaws and say, This is it, you know? Truth.” But which part of overdubbing your daughter’s voice is truthful? And why push a sick girl out for a second song that sources say SNL was prepared to cut? As for fans disappointed by an artificial ”live” performance, Mr. Simpson insists that ”every major act in the world” uses guide vocals, and those who don’t like it ”shouldn’t ever listen to the radio again.” Okay. We’re sick of ”Pieces of Me” anyway.
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!