The blame for Ashlee Simpson’s Oct. 23 Saturday Night Live lip-synching has been cast far and wide…but bad behavior starts at home. Simpson’s manager dad, Joe, says the meltdown occurred because Ashlee was suffering from acid reflux that made her unable to sing without the aid of a backing vocal track (but didn’t seem to prevent her from clowning brassily with host Jude Law in the opener) and her drummer forgot to reset the track after the first song. ”We’re all fallible,” Joe says. ”We put ourselves on TV and show our flaws and say, This is it, you know? Truth.” But which part of overdubbing your daughter’s voice is truthful? And why push a sick girl out for a second song that sources say SNL was prepared to cut? As for fans disappointed by an artificial ”live” performance, Mr. Simpson insists that ”every major act in the world” uses guide vocals, and those who don’t like it ”shouldn’t ever listen to the radio again.” Okay. We’re sick of ”Pieces of Me” anyway.
Posted November 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!