The blame for Ashlee Simpson’s Oct. 23 Saturday Night Live lip-synching has been cast far and wide…but bad behavior starts at home. Simpson’s manager dad, Joe, says the meltdown occurred because Ashlee was suffering from acid reflux that made her unable to sing without the aid of a backing vocal track (but didn’t seem to prevent her from clowning brassily with host Jude Law in the opener) and her drummer forgot to reset the track after the first song. ”We’re all fallible,” Joe says. ”We put ourselves on TV and show our flaws and say, This is it, you know? Truth.” But which part of overdubbing your daughter’s voice is truthful? And why push a sick girl out for a second song that sources say SNL was prepared to cut? As for fans disappointed by an artificial ”live” performance, Mr. Simpson insists that ”every major act in the world” uses guide vocals, and those who don’t like it ”shouldn’t ever listen to the radio again.” Okay. We’re sick of ”Pieces of Me” anyway.
Posted November 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Jennifer Holliday joining 'The Color Purple' revival
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...