Indra Sinha’s debut, The Death of Mr. Love is a boisterous, unpredictable whirl of a novel. At the center rests an intriguing thriller based on a real-life event. On a sweltering Bombay evening in 1959, a caddish Indian playboy is shot dead, his love triangle involving two high-society British women scandalously revealed. From there, the story lurches forward 40 years to late-’90s London, where Bhalu, a quietly despairing expat bookseller grieving the loss of his mother, uncovers a connection between his family and the death of ”Mr. Love.” At times, eccentric characters (weirdo neighbors, wacky psychics), splashy subplots (the return of Bhalu’s childhood sweetheart threatens his marriage), and torrents of historical backstory drown out the core mystery: Who killed Mr. Love? Fortunately, Sinha’s exquisite eye for detail, especially scenery (”The hills crouched like beasts around the lake, reaching rocky tongues to the water”), keep this ambitious tale afloat.
The Death of Mr. Love Indra Sinha's debut, The Death of Mr. Love is a boisterous, unpredictable whirl of a novel. At the center rests an intriguing thriller...The Death of Mr. LoveFictionIndra Sinha Indra Sinha's debut, The Death of Mr. Love is a boisterous, unpredictable whirl of a novel. At the center rests an intriguing thriller...2004-11-05William Morrow
Genre: Fiction; Author: Indra Sinha; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted November 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- President Obama talks 'The Wire' with creator David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers won't return; Academy to search for new showrunners
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- '12 Monkeys' boss answers some burning questions
- 'The Founder' starring Michael Keaton gets November 2016 release
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!