Indra Sinha’s debut, The Death of Mr. Love is a boisterous, unpredictable whirl of a novel. At the center rests an intriguing thriller based on a real-life event. On a sweltering Bombay evening in 1959, a caddish Indian playboy is shot dead, his love triangle involving two high-society British women scandalously revealed. From there, the story lurches forward 40 years to late-’90s London, where Bhalu, a quietly despairing expat bookseller grieving the loss of his mother, uncovers a connection between his family and the death of ”Mr. Love.” At times, eccentric characters (weirdo neighbors, wacky psychics), splashy subplots (the return of Bhalu’s childhood sweetheart threatens his marriage), and torrents of historical backstory drown out the core mystery: Who killed Mr. Love? Fortunately, Sinha’s exquisite eye for detail, especially scenery (”The hills crouched like beasts around the lake, reaching rocky tongues to the water”), keep this ambitious tale afloat.
The Death of Mr. Love Indra Sinha's debut, The Death of Mr. Love is a boisterous, unpredictable whirl of a novel. At the center rests an intriguing thriller...The Death of Mr. LoveFictionIndra Sinha Indra Sinha's debut, The Death of Mr. Love is a boisterous, unpredictable whirl of a novel. At the center rests an intriguing thriller...2004-11-05William Morrow
Genre: Fiction; Author: Indra Sinha; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!