The 15 stories in Dave Eggers’ handsome new collection, How We Are Hungry, range from droll, plotless two-page stunts to long, haunting character-driven narratives. In the clever one-paragraph ”Naveed,” a young woman frets about sleeping with an attractive man she’s brought home because doing so will bring her lifetime total of lovers to a ”baker’s dozen” — which she thinks will surely upset her hypothetical future husband. Eggers is a master of these sharp, silly exercises, but he’s capable of much more. In the book’s finest, darkest story, ”Up the Mountain Coming Down Slowly,” a woman on the cusp of middle age climbs Mount Kilimanjaro, her moods shifting fluidly from joy to regret, exhaustion, boredom, competitiveness, and, ultimately, horror.
How We Are Hungry The 15 stories in Dave Eggers' handsome new collection, How We Are Hungry, range from droll, plotless two-page stunts to long,...How We Are HungryFictionDave Eggers The 15 stories in Dave Eggers' handsome new collection, How We Are Hungry, range from droll, plotless two-page stunts to long,...2004-11-05McSweeney's Books
Genre: Fiction; Author: Dave Eggers; Publisher: McSweeney's Books
Posted November 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Ethan Hawke as Chet Baker in a 'Born to Be Blue' clip
- Boba Fett finally escapes Tatooine in fan-made trailer
- 'Mr. Robot' creator explains why you were supposed to guess the big twist
- How Soundgarden's Chris Cornell overcame stage fright for new solo set
- 'Contracted: Phase II' director talks about his 'surreal' VMAs experience
- Sneak Peek: Early scoop from EW's Shondaland issue
- Shonda Rhimes reveals the shows she wishes she created
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!