”We tried to make it all a bit theatrical,” says production designer Anthony Pratt of the screen version of The Phantom of the Opera. ”Nothing is meant to be terribly real.” Real? No. Over-the-top lavish? Absolutely. Set in a haunted Paris opera house, the movie is a vision of romantic splendor. To create this scene, where songbird Christine (Emmy Rossum) visits the grave of her father, Pratt drew from two of the world’s most ornate cemeteries: Paris’ Pàre Lachaise and Montparnasse. He filled a London soundstage with nearly 30 fiberglass statues, some towering as high as 16 feet. ”The proportions were so that Christine would be a tiny, innocent figure [among] these cold stones,” says director Joel Schumacher. ”It’s so elegant — like out of a Sargent painting.” The solemn scene is one of the few to take place outside the theater walls, and, Schumacher adds, ”the only time Christine wears black.” Costume designer Alexandra Byrne chose the heroine’s silk-velvet dress and taffeta cape because she ”wanted something soft and fluid that worked with the snow.” The clean silhouette sure made her blood-red bouquet pop. ”It’s all shameless,” laughs Schumacher. ”The whole thing.”
(The Phantom of the Opera: Alex Bailey)
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Wilco protests Indiana law, nixes concert
- Oxygen, Esquire Network partner on companion series 'Living With Funny,' 'Comedians of L.A.'
- 'The Flash': Mark Hamill on reprising Trickster role, bringing out epic 'Star Wars' nod
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!