She had us at goodbye. You may be seeing a lot of Renée Zellweger in the short term, as she promotes Friday’s opening of Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, but after that, not for a while. The 35-year-old Oscar winner says she wants to take an extended break from acting. She has one more completed film awaiting release next year (boxing drama The Cinderella Man, opposite Russell Crowe), but otherwise, she tells Reuters, she wants to spend time out of the spotlight and simply ”be a girl” for a while. ”I don’t see myself climbing into a makeup chair any time soon and taking another role,” she says. ”I feel like I need to take a minute and have a little bit of life experience.” She didn’t say how long her sabbatical might last, only that she’s been on such a nonstop schedule for so long that she’s hardly been to her Los Angeles home since the day after she won her Oscar trophy for Cold Mountain in February. ”I put it [on my bedside table] so when I woke up in the morning I could see that I really did bring it home,” she said. ”I haven’t really been back until now.”
(Renee Zellweger: John D McHugh/AP)
Posted November 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'House of Cards' premiere react: Blood on the Tracks
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!