She had us at goodbye. You may be seeing a lot of Renée Zellweger in the short term, as she promotes Friday’s opening of Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, but after that, not for a while. The 35-year-old Oscar winner says she wants to take an extended break from acting. She has one more completed film awaiting release next year (boxing drama The Cinderella Man, opposite Russell Crowe), but otherwise, she tells Reuters, she wants to spend time out of the spotlight and simply ”be a girl” for a while. ”I don’t see myself climbing into a makeup chair any time soon and taking another role,” she says. ”I feel like I need to take a minute and have a little bit of life experience.” She didn’t say how long her sabbatical might last, only that she’s been on such a nonstop schedule for so long that she’s hardly been to her Los Angeles home since the day after she won her Oscar trophy for Cold Mountain in February. ”I put it [on my bedside table] so when I woke up in the morning I could see that I really did bring it home,” she said. ”I haven’t really been back until now.”
(Renee Zellweger: John D McHugh/AP)
Posted November 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- VMAs ratings drop with Miley Cyrus
- Nicholas Hoult will play J.D. Salinger in a new biopic
- Stephen Amell says he'll go for Prime Minister if Kanye West runs for president
- 'SNL': See brand new footage from 'Hobbit Office' starring Martin Freeman
- Kanye as VMAs host in 2016? Not so fast
- Emmys secret ballot: How will Hollywood vote?
- This is what stars looked like at their first VMAs
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!