Anyone who has ever spent five minutes dreaming about what it might be like to become a famous Hollywood director will experience a heady sense of schadenfreude watching the be-careful-what-you-wish-for-especially-if-you’re-a-flaming-a–hole documentary Overnight. In 1997, Troy Duffy was working as a Los Angeles bartender when he sold a script to Miramax. He became the hottest name in the business — for five minutes. Hired to direct his movie, The Boondock Saints, at a budget of $15 million (that’s more than it cost to make Pulp Fiction or Good Will Hunting), Duffy, a cluelessly abrasive braggart who resembles a beady-eyed Carson Daly, proceeded to fulfill the role of It Boy Indie Filmmaker by shooting off his mouth, hanging out in hipster bars with Jake Busey and Patrick Swayze, and convincing himself he was king of the world. He alienated all the real players, and Overnight catches his noisy petty-egomaniac fall — the desperate calls to Harvey, the drunken nights and dissing of Keanu, the whole persecution complex masquerading as ”attitude.” I do wish that Overnight caught in more precise detail what Duffy, who finally made his film on the cheap at an obscure studio, did to tick off the Miramax powers. Imagining it, though, is half the fun.
OvernightAnyone who has ever spent five minutes dreaming about what it might be like to become a famous Hollywood director will experience a heady sense of...OvernightDocumentaryPT82MRAnyone who has ever spent five minutes dreaming about what it might be like to become a famous Hollywood director will experience a heady sense of...2004-11-11THINKFilm
Genre: Documentary; Director: Mark Brian Smith; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted November 11 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fall 2015 TV pilots: Updated full list
- Kanye West tweets apologies to Beck and Bruno Mars
- 'Agents of SHIELD' unveils new poster art: Here's 'Aftershocks'
- Elizabeth Hurley gets slap happy in 'Royals' clip: First Look
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller Wake halts production due to lack of funding
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in new issue of comic book
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for Amelia and Owen?
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!