Back in August, Nick Hornby’s book Fever Pitch — the basis for a 1997 British film about a winning soccer squad — was being shaped into an American movie starring Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon…and featuring baseball’s biggest losers, the Boston Red Sox. ”This might be the only example of a small, cheerful English movie being turned into a larger, downbeat Hollywood movie,” the author quipped at the time. But on Oct. 27, as the Sox teetered on the brink of winning the World Series, the filmmakers found themselves scrambling to somehow incorporate the (almost) unimaginable victory. Terrified of jinxing the team, they waited until 5:30 p.m. that day to put the actors — armed with nothing more than a fanny pack full of makeup and a comb — on a plane to St. Louis. ”It was totally surreal,” says producer Nancy Juvonen of the last-minute shoot that captured the stars making out on the field as the Sox celebrated the end of the team’s 86-year-old curse. A previously shot scene, in which Barrymore sprints across the outfield of Boston’s Fenway Park, will now stand in for Game 4 of the American League championship (when Boston began its miracle comeback against the New York Yankees). ”We’ve just kind of recalibrated our timeline,” says Fox 2000 president Elizabeth Gabler. ”We augmented our fairy tale. As [the Red Sox’s] dream was realized, our couple’s dream is also realized.” And Hornby wants the credit: ”Please tell the people of Boston that I am claiming personal responsibility for this.”
Posted November 12 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ranking Shania Twain's 37 singles in honor of her 50th birthday
- 'It Follows' director responds to Tarantino's criticism
- Kelly Clarkson covers Dolly Parton's 'Jolene'
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' cast reveals the players they are surprised got voted in
- Why Kim Dickens almost turned down 'Fear the Walking Dead'
- Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith talk about renting porn in new book excerpt
- 5 Seconds of Summer explain how Third Eye Blind influenced their new album
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!