With vigorous, purposeful prose and a killer knack for building suspense, Seth Mnookin (a former Newsweek media columnist) traces the systemic meltdown that brought The New York Times to its knees in May 2003. Instead of doling out Southern comfort, Alabama native Howell Raines — who began his stint as executive editor a week before 9/11 — quickly provoked staff resentment with his brusque, hard-driving style. More fatally, he missed the deception of cub reporter (and plagiarist) Jayson Blair. Mnookin crisply captures the tit-for-tat tenor of the Gray Lady’s news-room, describing how its historically significant foundation of trust was nearly obliterated by these two men from vastly different backgrounds. He doesn’t miss the gossip, either, peppering his account with dozens of tiny inter-office tiffs and angry anecdotes from past and present Times employees who remain fascinatingly optimistic about the paper’s future.
Hard News With vigorous, purposeful prose and a killer knack for building suspense, Seth Mnookin (a former Newsweek media columnist) traces the systemic...Hard NewsNonfictionSeth Mnookin With vigorous, purposeful prose and a killer knack for building suspense, Seth Mnookin (a former Newsweek media columnist) traces the systemic...2004-11-12Random House
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Seth Mnookin; Publisher: Random House
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!