There’s little original about The Originals — and that’s not really a bad thing. A fetishistic ode to ’60s British mod spiked with well-worn teenage nihilism and a gangs-are-bad plot, drawn in black and white by retro stylist Dave Gibbons (Watchmen) — unlikely ingredients for a modern comics gem. But Originals is as smart as a fashion-forward suit. Gibbons’s evocation of the period is enveloping, and despite some too familiar turns, his tale about the longing for belonging and the dawning of conscience has the powerful tug of a timeless fable.
The Originals There's little original about The Originals — and that's not really a bad thing. A fetishistic ode to '60s British mod spiked...The OriginalsFictionDave Gibbons There's little original about The Originals — and that's not really a bad thing. A fetishistic ode to '60s British mod spiked...2004-11-12Vertigo
Genre: Fiction; Author: Dave Gibbons; Status: In Season; Seasons: 2; Publisher: Vertigo
Posted November 12 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Downton Abbey' boss breaks down season 5 finale's surprises
- 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer burning Q's on Emma
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie: $19.1M
- 'Walking Dead': Tovah Feldshuh on her arrival as...
- 'Walking Dead' director Greg Nicotero on 'Remember'--and the scenes we didn't see
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition: 'craziest 24 hours'
- Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock: A tribute to the humane spirit