Their first quest to crash the charts, Unfinished Business, was stymied by R. Kelly’s nascent legal woes in 2002, hence the title of this formulaic bore of an album, which sees both performers shamelessly banking on their marquee names. Over soulless Track Masters-supplied party beats, Kelly croons insipid verses (he rhymes ”MTV” with ”BET” twice). Jay-Z also disappoints with dumbed-down lyrics that belie his true talents. For best results, listen to these modern marvels separately.
(R. Kelly and Jay-Z: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performers: Jay-Z, R. Kelly; Producer (group): Def Jam, Jive Records, Roc-A-Fella, Rockland
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- See the cover and an excerpt from E.K. Johnston's upcoming novel 'A Thousand Nights' -- exclusive
- Kat Dahlia teases 'I Think I'm In Love' video
- 'Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun previews season finale
- 'Outlander' featurette peeks at Jamie and Claire's future: 'You're tearing my guts out'
- Andy Grammer checks in: What it's like touring with his hit ‘Honey, I’m Good’ -- exclusive
- Rihanna's 'BBHMM' was co-produced by Kanye West
- Are your old Harry Potter books worth anything?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Moss, Ben Affleck & More!