Their first quest to crash the charts, Unfinished Business, was stymied by R. Kelly’s nascent legal woes in 2002, hence the title of this formulaic bore of an album, which sees both performers shamelessly banking on their marquee names. Over soulless Track Masters-supplied party beats, Kelly croons insipid verses (he rhymes ”MTV” with ”BET” twice). Jay-Z also disappoints with dumbed-down lyrics that belie his true talents. For best results, listen to these modern marvels separately.
(R. Kelly and Jay-Z: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performers: Jay-Z, R. Kelly; Producer (group): Def Jam, Jive Records, Roc-A-Fella, Rockland
Posted November 12 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel