Their first quest to crash the charts, Unfinished Business, was stymied by R. Kelly’s nascent legal woes in 2002, hence the title of this formulaic bore of an album, which sees both performers shamelessly banking on their marquee names. Over soulless Track Masters-supplied party beats, Kelly croons insipid verses (he rhymes ”MTV” with ”BET” twice). Jay-Z also disappoints with dumbed-down lyrics that belie his true talents. For best results, listen to these modern marvels separately.
(R. Kelly and Jay-Z: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performers: Jay-Z, R. Kelly; Producer (group): Def Jam, Jive Records, Roc-A-Fella, Rockland
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Orson Welles turns 100: How to become an expert in seven easy steps
- Meet the guys who invented the musical in Broadway’s 'Something Rotten!'
- Taylor Momsen: 'Gossip Girl' turned rock queen
- Miguel announces release date for new album 'Wildheart'
- Jon Hamm takes lead in Tony Gilroy's 'High Wire Act'
- 'Big Bang Theory' finale: Is someone going to break up?
- Jason Clarke, Rosamund Pike to star in WWII drama
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!