…or are the people behind the film version of Rent actually trying to screw things up? When it was announced Chris Columbus would direct the adaptation of Jonathan Larson’s Tony-winning 1996 musical, we held our tongues — even though Harry Potter and Home Alone are hardly suitable prep for a show about transvestites, drug users, and faux-hemians. But now that Revolution plans to use original Broadway cast members, we must ask: What? Won’t casting stage performers a decade too old to play the show’s feckless twentysomethings pose a credibility problem? Next thing we know, they’ll say New York City will be played by Vancouver.
Posted November 12 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set