Jean-Luc Godard’s Notre Musique opens with a montage of war images — Vietnam guerrillas, suicide-bombing victims, Sieg Heiling Nazis, all mixed with clips from old cavalry and knight movies — that is raw and poetic, gruesomely beautiful, and almost shocking in its MTV-does-the-history-of-human-battle potency. Can this really be Godard? Have no fear, he still has an entire movie of astringent aphorisms to go. Yet even after the director reverts to his familiar mode of deconstructive quizzicality, planting us at a book conference in Sarajevo where two very metaphorical Native Americans match wits with a handful of mostly Jewish and Palestinian writers and journalists, the immediacy of that opening sequence still echoes. Notre Musique is Godard’s post-9/11 statement, a meditation on how war emerges from the eternal, and hypocritical, duality of human perception — the sense that it’s always ”the other” who dies. Godard himself, puffing on a fat cigar, shows up to deliver the film’s most provocative observation, which is that after World War II, ”the Jews become the stuff of fiction, the Palestinians of documentary.” In Notre Musique, Godard locates the heart of the world in that divide, that moral schism. The movie then asks, without answering, Can it ever be repaired?
Notre MusiqueJean-Luc Godard's Notre Musique opens with a montage of war images — Vietnam guerrillas, suicide-bombing victims, Sieg Heiling...Notre MusiquePT79MJean-Luc Godard's Notre Musique opens with a montage of war images — Vietnam guerrillas, suicide-bombing victims, Sieg Heiling...2004-11-17Wellspring
Starring: Nade Dieu, Sarah Adler; Director: Jean-Luc Godard; Runtime (in minutes): 79; Distributor: Wellspring
Posted November 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!