Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus’ 2002 debut, The Nanny Diaries, armed with a nifty cover and tempting peek-inside-the-keyhole premise, found its way into countless women’s purses. Regardless of what you thought of their first effort, their follow-up, Citizen Girl, is a royal bore. (The writers’ previous press, Random House, apparently agrees. An early manuscript — reportedly deemed unpublishable —was kicked to the midtown Manhattan curb.) The novel’s heroine, Girl, is young and ambitious and ready to put her public policy degree to work. Alas, the new economy doesn’t need her. Girl struggles to pay back her student loans, suffers through the loutish behavior of her boss (named Guy, ha!), and romps on her futon with a could-be Mr. Right. The passing years haven’t done much to sharpen the writers’ prose style. Typical sentences: ”I am not. Leaving here. Without a job.” or ”What. The f—. Was that?” The girls will probably coast on their earlier success and the continued fine work of their jacket designers, but savvy women. Should look. Elsewhere. For their fun.
Citizen Girl Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus' 2002 debut, The Nanny Diaries, armed with a nifty cover and tempting peek-inside-the-keyhole premise, found...Citizen GirlNicola Kraus, Emma McLaughlin Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus' 2002 debut, The Nanny Diaries, armed with a nifty cover and tempting peek-inside-the-keyhole premise, found...2004-11-19Atria
Author: Nicola Kraus, Emma McLaughlin; Publisher: Atria
Posted November 19 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...