Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus’ 2002 debut, The Nanny Diaries, armed with a nifty cover and tempting peek-inside-the-keyhole premise, found its way into countless women’s purses. Regardless of what you thought of their first effort, their follow-up, Citizen Girl, is a royal bore. (The writers’ previous press, Random House, apparently agrees. An early manuscript — reportedly deemed unpublishable —was kicked to the midtown Manhattan curb.) The novel’s heroine, Girl, is young and ambitious and ready to put her public policy degree to work. Alas, the new economy doesn’t need her. Girl struggles to pay back her student loans, suffers through the loutish behavior of her boss (named Guy, ha!), and romps on her futon with a could-be Mr. Right. The passing years haven’t done much to sharpen the writers’ prose style. Typical sentences: ”I am not. Leaving here. Without a job.” or ”What. The f—. Was that?” The girls will probably coast on their earlier success and the continued fine work of their jacket designers, but savvy women. Should look. Elsewhere. For their fun.
Citizen Girl Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus' 2002 debut, The Nanny Diaries, armed with a nifty cover and tempting peek-inside-the-keyhole premise, found...Citizen GirlNicola Kraus, Emma McLaughlin Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus' 2002 debut, The Nanny Diaries, armed with a nifty cover and tempting peek-inside-the-keyhole premise, found...2004-11-19Atria
Author: Nicola Kraus, Emma McLaughlin; Publisher: Atria
Posted November 19 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Maisie Williams accepts Guinness World Record on behalf of 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Gotham' sneak peek: Barbara and Jerome cross paths in Arkham
- Uber offering free 'Mad Max: Fury Road'-themed rides in Seattle
- How the faith-based drama 'War Room' became a sleeper hit
- 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical': Ranking the musical numbers
- A fourth-grade teacher turned his classroom into the ultimate Kanye West tribute
- Wes Craven: A horror legend who pushed limits
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!