…or is Alexander Payne’s Sideways so money? Payne’s first cinematic trip to California is eerily reminiscent of 1996’s Swingers, right down to the pathetic phone calls our struggling artists (Paul Giamatti/Jon Favreau) make in romantic desperation. Both pine for lost love, golf badly, and road-trip with a hip pal (Thomas Haden Church/ Vince Vaughn), who strives to get his buddy laid. In the end, pretty women (Virginia Madsen/Heather Graham) redeem our heroes, and we learn that nice guys don’t always finish last. Like a ‘61 Cheval Blanc, a theme that’s aged to perfection.
Posted November 19 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Founder' starring Michael Keaton gets November 2016 release
- 'American Idol' guest mentor Boy George picks the frontrunners of the Top 9
- Sherlock creator: Making U.S. fans wait longer is 'bloody nonsense'
- Marvel changes the Avengers lineup, adding Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark' on Broadway
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!