…or is Alexander Payne’s Sideways so money? Payne’s first cinematic trip to California is eerily reminiscent of 1996’s Swingers, right down to the pathetic phone calls our struggling artists (Paul Giamatti/Jon Favreau) make in romantic desperation. Both pine for lost love, golf badly, and road-trip with a hip pal (Thomas Haden Church/ Vince Vaughn), who strives to get his buddy laid. In the end, pretty women (Virginia Madsen/Heather Graham) redeem our heroes, and we learn that nice guys don’t always finish last. Like a ‘61 Cheval Blanc, a theme that’s aged to perfection.
Posted November 19 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation': What are the critics saying?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!