…or is Alexander Payne’s Sideways so money? Payne’s first cinematic trip to California is eerily reminiscent of 1996’s Swingers, right down to the pathetic phone calls our struggling artists (Paul Giamatti/Jon Favreau) make in romantic desperation. Both pine for lost love, golf badly, and road-trip with a hip pal (Thomas Haden Church/ Vince Vaughn), who strives to get his buddy laid. In the end, pretty women (Virginia Madsen/Heather Graham) redeem our heroes, and we learn that nice guys don’t always finish last. Like a ‘61 Cheval Blanc, a theme that’s aged to perfection.
Posted November 19 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': What's happened to Agent May?
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' star on Ghost Rider's surprising move
- Damian Lewis in talks to play the villain in 'Ocean's 8'
- 'Chicago Fire' creator breaks down episode 100's big surprises
- 'Suicide Squad' Honest Trailer takes aim at the 'worst heroes ever'
- Joe Biden clarifies 2020 presidential bid comments
- 'This Is Us': Chris Sullivan on that Toby cliffhanger in the winter finale
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans