Grad student Eric is struggling to find himself: He’s not that interested in the thesis he’s been writing about historic immigration patterns in Boston, his focused live-in girlfriend is pushing him to figure himself out, and he has just learned that his pale British father was born in a small Mexican town. As Eric sets out to explore his roots in Mexico, Anita Desai weaves together the stories of Eric, his grandparents’ struggles there during World War II, and the fierce ”Queen of the Sierra,” a former German showgirl who became a local legend defending the native Huichol people from inhumane conditions in the silver mines. All of The Zigzag Way’s threads intertwine during a modern Day of the Dead celebration — resulting in a beautifully rendered combination of history, folklore, and modern fiction.
The Zigzag Way Grad student Eric is struggling to find himself: He's not that interested in the thesis he's been writing about historic immigration patterns in...The Zigzag WayFictionAnita Desai Grad student Eric is struggling to find himself: He's not that interested in the thesis he's been writing about historic immigration patterns in...2004-11-19Houghton Mifflin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anita Desai; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!