Grad student Eric is struggling to find himself: He’s not that interested in the thesis he’s been writing about historic immigration patterns in Boston, his focused live-in girlfriend is pushing him to figure himself out, and he has just learned that his pale British father was born in a small Mexican town. As Eric sets out to explore his roots in Mexico, Anita Desai weaves together the stories of Eric, his grandparents’ struggles there during World War II, and the fierce ”Queen of the Sierra,” a former German showgirl who became a local legend defending the native Huichol people from inhumane conditions in the silver mines. All of The Zigzag Way’s threads intertwine during a modern Day of the Dead celebration — resulting in a beautifully rendered combination of history, folklore, and modern fiction.
The Zigzag Way Grad student Eric is struggling to find himself: He's not that interested in the thesis he's been writing about historic immigration patterns in...The Zigzag WayFictionAnita Desai Grad student Eric is struggling to find himself: He's not that interested in the thesis he's been writing about historic immigration patterns in...2004-11-19Houghton Mifflin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anita Desai; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Posted November 19 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher married
- Blur's Damon Albarn carried offstage at Denmark fest
- Someone made a cool trailer for Netflix's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' -- but it wasn't Netflix
- 'The Walking Dead' showrunner says comic backstory will be revealed in season 6
- Ridley Scott talks turning Philip K. Dick's 'The Man in the High Castle' into 10-episode series
- Exclusive: Subway tunnel rave turns deadly in 'Survive the Night' trailer
- 'Edward Scissorhands' 25th anniversary Blu-ray: New details
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!