Growing up isn’t easy for a hit TV series whose wide-eyed ”teen” cast graduates, forcing them to leave their safe, sugarcoated high school halls for edgier, alcohol-soaked college dorms. So why invite DVD audiences to relive the awkward failure of Saved by the Bell’s transition from shiny, happy Saturday-morning smash to dull, immature prime-time sitcom in The College Years? Bayside High alumni Zack (Mark-Paul Gosselaar), Slater (Mario Lopez), Screech (Dustin Diamond), and Kelly (Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, who’s missing from the pilot, but turns up in the opener) arrive at California U with the same dorm suite, and the cornball innocence of the original Bell. The guys get ”slimed” during frat hazing, the roommates contemplate cheating on an exam, and Zack yells, ”Screech, you’re about two seconds away from a noogie!” (The most realistic, and funniest, aspect of the show is the early-’90s grunge fashions — plaid shirts, combat boots). No wonder the series didn’t see a sophomore year.
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- USA's 'Mr. Robot' to premiere online May 27 via EW, iTunes, Amazon, among others
- Director Amy Berg talks about the need for more female directors
- 'SNL' host poll: How'd Scarlett Johansson do?
- James Taylor debuts Boston Red Sox song
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Let's talk latest shocking 'Game of Thrones' twist
- Kim Kardashian’s book of selfies is in good company
- Lauryn Hill apologizes to Nigerian fans with awesome acoustic performance
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!