Growing up isn’t easy for a hit TV series whose wide-eyed ”teen” cast graduates, forcing them to leave their safe, sugarcoated high school halls for edgier, alcohol-soaked college dorms. So why invite DVD audiences to relive the awkward failure of Saved by the Bell’s transition from shiny, happy Saturday-morning smash to dull, immature prime-time sitcom in The College Years? Bayside High alumni Zack (Mark-Paul Gosselaar), Slater (Mario Lopez), Screech (Dustin Diamond), and Kelly (Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, who’s missing from the pilot, but turns up in the opener) arrive at California U with the same dorm suite, and the cornball innocence of the original Bell. The guys get ”slimed” during frat hazing, the roommates contemplate cheating on an exam, and Zack yells, ”Screech, you’re about two seconds away from a noogie!” (The most realistic, and funniest, aspect of the show is the early-’90s grunge fashions — plaid shirts, combat boots). No wonder the series didn’t see a sophomore year.
Posted November 26 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!