”It was supposed to be about the hero of Hell’s Kitchen,” grumbles writer-director Mark Steven Johnson about last year’s Daredevil. Instead, after death by a thousand cuts, the theatrical version ended up being about Ben Affleck, his stubby limbs wedged into a red leather suit, fighting Colin Farrell’s Bullseye in an unconvincing CGI-renovated church. Not even Stan Lee could muster up an ”Excelsior!” over that — let alone the ridiculous playground sissy fight with Elektra (Jennifer Garner) — but Johnson gets his own back with a director’s cut restoring more than 30 minutes and an entire sprawling subplot: blind attorney/Daredevil alter ego Matt Murdock’s defense of a man (rapper Coolio) unjustly accused of murder. The problem? The movie still reeks. While there are some amusingly banter-filled new scenes between Affleck and Jon Favreau as his law partner, the murder-mystery story line is patchy and confusing, and it never meshes with the main Elektra-Bullseye-Kingpin plot. A 15-minute featurette on the disc hints hilariously at the editing-room screaming matches that may have erupted, with producer Gary Foster insisting that the longer version’s ”intellectual content” is a pace killer, while director Johnson calls the theatrical cut ”flawed.” Fellas, relax?you’re both right.
(Daredevil: Zade Rosenthal)
Posted December 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- The Weeknd lives through a car crash in 'The Hills' video
- Vanessa Bayer, Fred Armisen, more appear in new Jenny Lewis video
- Neil Young thought Florence Welch was 'a man with a high voice'
- New 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'?
- Blink-182, Tom DeLonge: 'friendly divorce'
- Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan make messy love in Amazon’s 'Catastrophe'
- How Walk the Moon scored a summer pop hit in 'Shut Up and Dance'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!