Yann Martel’s slip of a book contains just four of his pre-Life of Pi stories, but they pack a powerful punch. In the moving title tale, the narrator, watching a young friend die of AIDS, devises a game whereby they retell the history of the 20th century year by year — along with the adventures of the imaginary Roccamatio family. Martel lets the gimmick go on too long, but the sadness that gradually seeps through the cracks of the futile game is all the more excruciating for being so tightly repressed. The more chipper and polished ”Vita Aeterna Mirror Company” also strikes deep emotional chords with a light touch: Structured as a frothy conversation between an impatient youth and his aggravating, garrulous grandmother, the story shows the young man’s understanding and respect for his elder dawning right there on the page. With uncommon dexterity, Martel manages to inject real, poignant feeling into The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios’s cleverly conceived experimental fictions.
The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios Yann Martel's slip of a book contains just four of his pre-Life of Pi stories, but they pack a powerful punch. In the moving title tale, the ...The Facts Behind the Helsinki RoccamatiosFictionYann Martel Yann Martel's slip of a book contains just four of his pre-Life of Pi stories, but they pack a powerful punch. In the moving title tale, the ...2004-12-03Harcourt
Genre: Fiction; Author: Yann Martel; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted December 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday