Yann Martel’s slip of a book contains just four of his pre-Life of Pi stories, but they pack a powerful punch. In the moving title tale, the narrator, watching a young friend die of AIDS, devises a game whereby they retell the history of the 20th century year by year — along with the adventures of the imaginary Roccamatio family. Martel lets the gimmick go on too long, but the sadness that gradually seeps through the cracks of the futile game is all the more excruciating for being so tightly repressed. The more chipper and polished ”Vita Aeterna Mirror Company” also strikes deep emotional chords with a light touch: Structured as a frothy conversation between an impatient youth and his aggravating, garrulous grandmother, the story shows the young man’s understanding and respect for his elder dawning right there on the page. With uncommon dexterity, Martel manages to inject real, poignant feeling into The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios’s cleverly conceived experimental fictions.
The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios Yann Martel's slip of a book contains just four of his pre-Life of Pi stories, but they pack a powerful punch. In the moving title tale, the ...The Facts Behind the Helsinki RoccamatiosFictionYann Martel Yann Martel's slip of a book contains just four of his pre-Life of Pi stories, but they pack a powerful punch. In the moving title tale, the ...2004-12-03Harcourt
Genre: Fiction; Author: Yann Martel; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted December 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!