Steeped in rich, sumptuous colors and set to poignant violin solos by Itzhak Perlman, director Zhang Yimou’s exquisite martial-arts fable Hero is a valentine to the senses. Though the film relies too heavily on flashbacks to flesh out the history of Li’s vengeance-seeking swordsman, Zhang’s stylized takes on traditional fight sequences (his protagonists battle each other mentally) are pure visceral delights. EXTRAS An illuminative making-of featurette underscores Zhang’s dedication to achieving the perfect shot: To specifically capture the glass-like tranquillity of a lake upon which Li and Leung flit like dragonflies, he insisted on filming only between the hours of 10 a.m. and noon for nearly three straight weeks. Also included are animated storyboards that parallel simultaneously unfurling scenes (right down to the color of each actor’s costume and the angle of their swords), and a cursorily shot ”conversation” between Li and Quentin Tarantino that quickly devolves into mutual pandering.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Foreign Language; Starring: Jet Li, Tony Leung, Maggie Cheung, Donnie Yen, Ziyi Zhang; Director: Zhang Yimou; Author: Robert Kamen; Release Date Wide: 08/27/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Miramax
Posted December 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' gets covered in 20 different styles in under 5 minutes
- 'UnREAL' renewed for season 2
- Grant Morrison gives 'Heavy Metal' a punk rock facelift
- How well do you know your geek trivia? Take EW's Comic-Con quiz to find out
- 'Star Wars' at Comic-Con: What you'll see (J.J. Abrams and Co.) and what you won't (new trailer)
- Amy Schumer is 'taking responsibility' for controversial joke
- Listen to Liam Payne sing in the shower
- Soundbites of the week: Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!