Ask reality show guru Mike Fleiss (The Bachelor) about his new project The Real Gilligan’s Island, and he quotes song lyrics: ”No phones, no lights, no motorcars, not a single luxury.” But TBS’ update of the ’60s comedy (premiering Tuesday, Nov. 30 at 8 p.m.) isn’t exactly primitive as can be. Not with a hefty cash prize, challenges ”sillier” than those on Survivor, and cameras stalking the castaways. Fleiss selected two groups of seven contenders in the mold of the original characters — including Rachel Hunter and Nicole Eggert as the Movie Star — and stranded them off Cancún to see how the wreck of the SS Minnow might have played out in real life. (The goal: making it to the final seven and getting off the island.) For Gilligan creator Sherwood Schwartz, an executive producer of the new version, it offers a chance to capitalize on the popularity of Lost and Survivor. So expect some adjusting. ”When I did the original show, you were not allowed to show a belly button,” he says. ”You were not allowed to show too much cleavage.” And to think people still watched!
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!