Lily Tuck’s vivid, intriguing, but disjointed novel — the newly crowned winner of the National Book Award — begins in 1854 when Ella Lynch, a gorgeous Parisian courtesan, follows her new lover, Franco Lopez (the real-life future dictator of Paraguay), to South America. Tuck brings to life the lush, sensual, and brutal world of 19th-century Paraguay, where peasants live in mud hovels and Ella raises her children by Franco in a pink marble palace. Franco, meanwhile, keeps busy entertaining his many mistresses, seizing power, imprisoning his siblings, and driving the country into a cataclysmic war with Brazil. Alas, no strong, compelling plot ever emerges. Constantly shifting its focus between several dozen scattered characters — from Ella’s saucy French maid to an American minister in Paraguay to a syphilitic wet nurse — The News From Paraguay never quite jells.
The News From Paraguay Lily Tuck's vivid, intriguing, but disjointed novel — the newly crowned winner of the National Book Award — begins in 1854 when Ella Lynch,...The News From ParaguayFictionLily Tuck Lily Tuck's vivid, intriguing, but disjointed novel — the newly crowned winner of the National Book Award — begins in 1854 when Ella Lynch,...2004-12-03HarperPerennial Library
Genre: Fiction; Author: Lily Tuck; Publisher: HarperPerennial Library
Posted December 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!