Lily Tuck’s vivid, intriguing, but disjointed novel — the newly crowned winner of the National Book Award — begins in 1854 when Ella Lynch, a gorgeous Parisian courtesan, follows her new lover, Franco Lopez (the real-life future dictator of Paraguay), to South America. Tuck brings to life the lush, sensual, and brutal world of 19th-century Paraguay, where peasants live in mud hovels and Ella raises her children by Franco in a pink marble palace. Franco, meanwhile, keeps busy entertaining his many mistresses, seizing power, imprisoning his siblings, and driving the country into a cataclysmic war with Brazil. Alas, no strong, compelling plot ever emerges. Constantly shifting its focus between several dozen scattered characters — from Ella’s saucy French maid to an American minister in Paraguay to a syphilitic wet nurse — The News From Paraguay never quite jells.
The News From Paraguay Lily Tuck's vivid, intriguing, but disjointed novel — the newly crowned winner of the National Book Award — begins in 1854 when Ella Lynch,...The News From ParaguayFictionLily Tuck Lily Tuck's vivid, intriguing, but disjointed novel — the newly crowned winner of the National Book Award — begins in 1854 when Ella Lynch,...2004-12-03HarperPerennial Library
Genre: Fiction; Author: Lily Tuck; Publisher: HarperPerennial Library
Posted December 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- I'm not buying Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- 'Ray Donovan' season 3: Watch the brooding trailer
- Kelly Rutherford: Judge blocks kids' return
- Colin Donnell joins 'Chicago Med' cast
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!