Rip Van Winkle, fresh off a 20-year hiatus from stand-up comedy, would have no trouble identifying the owner of the three-blind-mice glasses, the torrent of dreadlocks, and the tart restlessness as Ms. W. Goldberg. He might even recognize the outlines of Goldberg’s most famous creation, Fontaine, as the dope fiend now riffs about Anne Frank (pro), gay marriage (pro), and the war in Iraq (con). But old Rip may have trouble recalling the sensation Goldberg created when she first conjured her gallery of misfits. When not lobbing easy lefty political gibes, the raunch-mouthed, middle-aged comic who meanders through this shapeless production (billed as ”the 20th Anniversary Show”) squanders an awful lot of her characteristically charismatic physical presence on the unrevolutionary cause of obvious, coarse jokes about aging bodies.
Whoopi Rip Van Winkle, fresh off a 20-year hiatus from stand-up comedy, would have no trouble identifying the owner of the three-blind-mice glasses, the...WhoopiWhoopi Goldberg Rip Van Winkle, fresh off a 20-year hiatus from stand-up comedy, would have no trouble identifying the owner of the three-blind-mice glasses, the...2004-12-03
Starring: Whoopi Goldberg; Author: Whoopi Goldberg; Opening Date: 11/17/2004
Posted December 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Katy Perry dances to Taylor Swift verse in Kanye West's 'Famous'
- 'Assassin's Creed' featurette offers new plot teases
- Character actress Rebecca Metz on making it in Hollywood
- 'Bad Santa 2' screening, cast added to EW PopFest lineup
- James McAvoy has 23 personalities in new trailer for 'Split'
- James Franco endorses Hillary Clinton with Dos Equis spoof
- 'Blindspot' sneak peek: Why has Rich Dotcom returned?
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like