Rip Van Winkle, fresh off a 20-year hiatus from stand-up comedy, would have no trouble identifying the owner of the three-blind-mice glasses, the torrent of dreadlocks, and the tart restlessness as Ms. W. Goldberg. He might even recognize the outlines of Goldberg’s most famous creation, Fontaine, as the dope fiend now riffs about Anne Frank (pro), gay marriage (pro), and the war in Iraq (con). But old Rip may have trouble recalling the sensation Goldberg created when she first conjured her gallery of misfits. When not lobbing easy lefty political gibes, the raunch-mouthed, middle-aged comic who meanders through this shapeless production (billed as ”the 20th Anniversary Show”) squanders an awful lot of her characteristically charismatic physical presence on the unrevolutionary cause of obvious, coarse jokes about aging bodies.
Whoopi Rip Van Winkle, fresh off a 20-year hiatus from stand-up comedy, would have no trouble identifying the owner of the three-blind-mice glasses, the...WhoopiWhoopi Goldberg Rip Van Winkle, fresh off a 20-year hiatus from stand-up comedy, would have no trouble identifying the owner of the three-blind-mice glasses, the...2004-12-03
Starring: Whoopi Goldberg; Author: Whoopi Goldberg; Opening Date: 11/17/2004
Posted December 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- The Monkees share stories behind their biggest hits
- Michael Bay teases Megatron's return in 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
- Terminally-ill 'Ellen' guest opens up about cancer fight, HBO special
- Zac Efron's jock strap among items available in 'Dirty Grandpa' auction
- Mark Salling cut from 'Gods and Secret' after child porn indictment
- Julia Roberts to receive 'Woman of the Decade' honor from 'Guys Choice'
- Zedd debuts vibrant trailer for 'True Colors' documentary
- See The Voices Behind Your Favorite 'Finding Nemo' Characters
- The Best 'Bachelor' and 'Bachelorette' Jobs
- Disney Classics Making New Magic On Screen
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot