Rip Van Winkle, fresh off a 20-year hiatus from stand-up comedy, would have no trouble identifying the owner of the three-blind-mice glasses, the torrent of dreadlocks, and the tart restlessness as Ms. W. Goldberg. He might even recognize the outlines of Goldberg’s most famous creation, Fontaine, as the dope fiend now riffs about Anne Frank (pro), gay marriage (pro), and the war in Iraq (con). But old Rip may have trouble recalling the sensation Goldberg created when she first conjured her gallery of misfits. When not lobbing easy lefty political gibes, the raunch-mouthed, middle-aged comic who meanders through this shapeless production (billed as ”the 20th Anniversary Show”) squanders an awful lot of her characteristically charismatic physical presence on the unrevolutionary cause of obvious, coarse jokes about aging bodies.
Whoopi Rip Van Winkle, fresh off a 20-year hiatus from stand-up comedy, would have no trouble identifying the owner of the three-blind-mice glasses, the...WhoopiWhoopi Goldberg Rip Van Winkle, fresh off a 20-year hiatus from stand-up comedy, would have no trouble identifying the owner of the three-blind-mice glasses, the...2004-12-03
Starring: Whoopi Goldberg; Author: Whoopi Goldberg; Opening Date: 11/17/2004
Posted December 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!