Here’s a riddle to top the rest in National Treasure: What’s dark but frosted, and as fake-looking as a souvenir-store Declaration of Independence? Ye olde hairstyle of Nicolas Cage’s nerdy Revolutionary history buff, Ben Gates. The ‘do isn’t Donald-Trump-comb-over or Joe-Pesci-in-My-Cousin-Vinny bad. But the painted-in hairline of Ben’s pompadour (accessorized with Elvis-style sideburns) looks as jarringly artificial as a founding father’s powdered wig.
Posted December 6 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- How Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, and other stars are celebrating July 4
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!