At 71, James Brown may still think of himself as the hardest working man in show business; as a result he’s not even going to let prostate cancer slow him down. Brown acknowledged he has the ailment in a statement to the Associated Press, saying, ”I have overcome a lot of things in my life. I will overcome this as well.” The announcement came Friday, the night after he finished a two-week tour of Canada. Brown, who’s also a diabetic, will undergo cancer surgery on Dec. 15. After a three-week convalescence, he’s still planning to make promotional appearances next month to plug his upcoming autobiography, I Feel Good: A Memoir of a Life of Soul. Then he’s due to go back on the road in early 2005 with a tour of Australia and Asia. That’s the kind of schedule that could leave even younger performers in a cold sweat.
(James Brown: Ed Bailey/AP)
Posted December 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Hugh Jackman bring back the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- See Beyoncé birthday wishes from Gwyneth Paltrow, Blue Ivy, and more
- See Kevin Bacon's sweet anniversary tribute to Kyra Sedgwick
- Idris Elba addresses James Bond casting speculation
- Jimmy Fallon thanks Madame Tussauds for making a wax figure of Grumpy Cat
- Chris Evans on more Captain America: 'If Marvel wants me, they got me'
- Alison Brie offers unqualified dating advice on 'The Tonight Show'
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!