At 71, James Brown may still think of himself as the hardest working man in show business; as a result he’s not even going to let prostate cancer slow him down. Brown acknowledged he has the ailment in a statement to the Associated Press, saying, ”I have overcome a lot of things in my life. I will overcome this as well.” The announcement came Friday, the night after he finished a two-week tour of Canada. Brown, who’s also a diabetic, will undergo cancer surgery on Dec. 15. After a three-week convalescence, he’s still planning to make promotional appearances next month to plug his upcoming autobiography, I Feel Good: A Memoir of a Life of Soul. Then he’s due to go back on the road in early 2005 with a tour of Australia and Asia. That’s the kind of schedule that could leave even younger performers in a cold sweat.
(James Brown: Ed Bailey/AP)
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 12 craziest moments from Monty Python's riotous reunion
- Bruce Jenner interview draws 16.9M viewers; best Friday night non-sports TV ratings since '03
- 'Star Wars': Daisy Ridley reveals Rey secrets
- Bruce Jenner reality series will debut on E! in July
- Bruce Jenner confesses Kim Kardashian was the first to know
- Kanye West helped Kim Kardashian accept Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner to Diane Sawyer: 'The female part of me is who I am'