Cady Huffman, call your agent. Variety reports that Nicole Kidman is dropping out of the movie version of Broadway musical smash The Producers. Initially cast as Ulla, the sexy Swedish secretary, Kidman was the lone ringer brought in to a cast whose principals (Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Gary Beach, and Roger Bart) had all appeared in the original Broadway cast. But her reps tell Variety that she doesn’t have time to learn the tricky choreography for the movie musical, set to shoot in February, because she’s due soon on the Australian set of Eucalyptus, a romance featuring fellow Aussie all-stars Russell Crowe and Geoffrey Rush. It’s not the first time Kidman has overcommitted herself; she cited scheduling conflicts as the reason she dropped out of Lars von Trier’s Manderlay, in which she would have reprised the starring role she played in the Danish director’s Dogville. (Bryce Dallas Howard took over the part.) No word on who’ll replace Kidman in The Producers, but maybe director Susan Stroman (who directed the Broadway show) will turn to Huffman, who created the role of Ulla on Broadway and won a Tony for her performance.
(Nicole Kidman: Mark J. Terrill/AP)
Posted December 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jon Stewart, Larry Wilmore riff on Duggar scandal
- Watch the 'Mr. Robot' pilot right this second
- The Fat Jewish channels Steve Jobs in new book cover -- EXCLUSIVE
- Django Django revisits '80s classic for new video
- 10-year-old Tinashe performs Bob Dylan cover in unearthed video
- Merriam-Webster adds Internet slang to dictionary
- Netflix renews 'Grace and Frankie' for season 2
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!