Cady Huffman, call your agent. Variety reports that Nicole Kidman is dropping out of the movie version of Broadway musical smash The Producers. Initially cast as Ulla, the sexy Swedish secretary, Kidman was the lone ringer brought in to a cast whose principals (Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Gary Beach, and Roger Bart) had all appeared in the original Broadway cast. But her reps tell Variety that she doesn’t have time to learn the tricky choreography for the movie musical, set to shoot in February, because she’s due soon on the Australian set of Eucalyptus, a romance featuring fellow Aussie all-stars Russell Crowe and Geoffrey Rush. It’s not the first time Kidman has overcommitted herself; she cited scheduling conflicts as the reason she dropped out of Lars von Trier’s Manderlay, in which she would have reprised the starring role she played in the Danish director’s Dogville. (Bryce Dallas Howard took over the part.) No word on who’ll replace Kidman in The Producers, but maybe director Susan Stroman (who directed the Broadway show) will turn to Huffman, who created the role of Ulla on Broadway and won a Tony for her performance.
(Nicole Kidman: Mark J. Terrill/AP)
Posted December 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!