Cady Huffman, call your agent. Variety reports that Nicole Kidman is dropping out of the movie version of Broadway musical smash The Producers. Initially cast as Ulla, the sexy Swedish secretary, Kidman was the lone ringer brought in to a cast whose principals (Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Gary Beach, and Roger Bart) had all appeared in the original Broadway cast. But her reps tell Variety that she doesn’t have time to learn the tricky choreography for the movie musical, set to shoot in February, because she’s due soon on the Australian set of Eucalyptus, a romance featuring fellow Aussie all-stars Russell Crowe and Geoffrey Rush. It’s not the first time Kidman has overcommitted herself; she cited scheduling conflicts as the reason she dropped out of Lars von Trier’s Manderlay, in which she would have reprised the starring role she played in the Danish director’s Dogville. (Bryce Dallas Howard took over the part.) No word on who’ll replace Kidman in The Producers, but maybe director Susan Stroman (who directed the Broadway show) will turn to Huffman, who created the role of Ulla on Broadway and won a Tony for her performance.
(Nicole Kidman: Mark J. Terrill/AP)
Posted December 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- J.K. Rowling discovers her roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?' — exclusive
- The Leftovers season 2 story twist revealed (bonus: less bleak)
- 'Fantastic Four' clips explore Reed Richards' past
- In defense of Chris Farley... underrated movie star
- Meryl Streep and Rick Springfield rock out in 'Cold One' music video premiere
- 'Humans' renewed for season 2
- U2 performs tribute to Lou Reed with Paul Simon at Madison Square Garden
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Helen Mirren, Tom Cruise, The Baldwins & More!