Cady Huffman, call your agent. Variety reports that Nicole Kidman is dropping out of the movie version of Broadway musical smash The Producers. Initially cast as Ulla, the sexy Swedish secretary, Kidman was the lone ringer brought in to a cast whose principals (Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Gary Beach, and Roger Bart) had all appeared in the original Broadway cast. But her reps tell Variety that she doesn’t have time to learn the tricky choreography for the movie musical, set to shoot in February, because she’s due soon on the Australian set of Eucalyptus, a romance featuring fellow Aussie all-stars Russell Crowe and Geoffrey Rush. It’s not the first time Kidman has overcommitted herself; she cited scheduling conflicts as the reason she dropped out of Lars von Trier’s Manderlay, in which she would have reprised the starring role she played in the Danish director’s Dogville. (Bryce Dallas Howard took over the part.) No word on who’ll replace Kidman in The Producers, but maybe director Susan Stroman (who directed the Broadway show) will turn to Huffman, who created the role of Ulla on Broadway and won a Tony for her performance.
(Nicole Kidman: Mark J. Terrill/AP)
Posted December 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Steve-O sentenced to 30 days in jail following SeaWorld protest
- Zachary Levi talks 'Heroes Reborn' while playing 'Goldeneye' for Q&Play
- Daniel Craig says he'd only play Bond again 'for the money’
- Lady Gaga is ready for the 'American Horror Story: Hotel' premiere
- See legendary 'Star Wars' artist Drew Struzan's poster for 'Tales of Halloween'
- 'Power Rangers' has found its Pink Ranger
- 'Originals' star Phoebe Tonkin previews Hayley's revenge, wolf-spooning with Jackson