AGE 48 HOMETOWN Elkins Park, Pa. HER BREAKOUT MOMENT The former TV exec-turned-screenwriter gave Showtime its biggest hit since Queer as Folk with her lesbian drama The L Word, an addictive mix of eclectic characters, glam fashion, and soapy story lines. LESSONS LEARNED FROM TOILING IN OBSCURITY Take careful notes. ”You’ll know how people think and what corners to duck around. Information and strategy are just as useful as talent and ambition.” USELESS TRIVIA Chaiken, who has two daughters with architect Miggi Hood, can kick your butt in karate. ”I started going to the studio at age 13 because, believe it or not, I thought the boys were cute!” NOT SO BEHIND-THE-SCENES ”I was sitting in Le Pain Quotidien with my daughter and somebody came up to me and said, ‘If you’re who I think you are, then I love your show!”’ WHAT’S NEXT L Word’s second season on Feb. 20; writing a screenplay for an untitled Paramount drama about a man who assumes the identity of a friend who dies in Iraq.
Posted December 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!