AGE 48 HOMETOWN Elkins Park, Pa. HER BREAKOUT MOMENT The former TV exec-turned-screenwriter gave Showtime its biggest hit since Queer as Folk with her lesbian drama The L Word, an addictive mix of eclectic characters, glam fashion, and soapy story lines. LESSONS LEARNED FROM TOILING IN OBSCURITY Take careful notes. ”You’ll know how people think and what corners to duck around. Information and strategy are just as useful as talent and ambition.” USELESS TRIVIA Chaiken, who has two daughters with architect Miggi Hood, can kick your butt in karate. ”I started going to the studio at age 13 because, believe it or not, I thought the boys were cute!” NOT SO BEHIND-THE-SCENES ”I was sitting in Le Pain Quotidien with my daughter and somebody came up to me and said, ‘If you’re who I think you are, then I love your show!”’ WHAT’S NEXT L Word’s second season on Feb. 20; writing a screenplay for an untitled Paramount drama about a man who assumes the identity of a friend who dies in Iraq.
Posted December 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...