AGE 48 HOMETOWN Elkins Park, Pa. HER BREAKOUT MOMENT The former TV exec-turned-screenwriter gave Showtime its biggest hit since Queer as Folk with her lesbian drama The L Word, an addictive mix of eclectic characters, glam fashion, and soapy story lines. LESSONS LEARNED FROM TOILING IN OBSCURITY Take careful notes. ”You’ll know how people think and what corners to duck around. Information and strategy are just as useful as talent and ambition.” USELESS TRIVIA Chaiken, who has two daughters with architect Miggi Hood, can kick your butt in karate. ”I started going to the studio at age 13 because, believe it or not, I thought the boys were cute!” NOT SO BEHIND-THE-SCENES ”I was sitting in Le Pain Quotidien with my daughter and somebody came up to me and said, ‘If you’re who I think you are, then I love your show!”’ WHAT’S NEXT L Word’s second season on Feb. 20; writing a screenplay for an untitled Paramount drama about a man who assumes the identity of a friend who dies in Iraq.
Posted December 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Paul McCartney meets women who inspired ‘Blackbird’ at Arkansas concert
- Patton Oswalt shares touching words from daughter after wife’s death
- Aretha Franklin performs 'Purple Rain' on International Jazz Day
- 'Penny Dreadful' season 3 sneak peek teases 'a terrible end'
- 'Captain America: Civil War' opens to $200 million internationally
- WATCH: Taylor John Smith on his 'Cruel Intentions' reboot audition
- Mads Mikkelsen says he wants to return for more 'Hannibal'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch