No sooner does Martin Harris arrive in Paris, on leave from Yale to study botanical genetics at a French institute, than he gets into an auto accident that puts him in a coma for several days. But when he awakens, ID-less, and shows up at his rented flat, his wife doesn’t recognize him — and a man calling himself Martin Harris angrily ejects him from the building. Thus begins French author Didier van Cauwelaert’s convincing little nightmare, a Twilight Zone-ish yarn that tests poor Martin as well as the very notion of how human identity is shaped. The scientific gloss helps cover some of the plot’s surface implausibilities. In fact, the premise is so intriguing, and so engagingly developed, that you won’t mind that Martin never bothers to, say, seek out the U.S. embassy for help.
Out Of My Head No sooner does Martin Harris arrive in Paris, on leave from Yale to study botanical genetics at a French institute, than he gets into an auto accident...Out Of My HeadFictionDidier van Cauwelaert No sooner does Martin Harris arrive in Paris, on leave from Yale to study botanical genetics at a French institute, than he gets into an auto accident...2004-12-13Other Press
Genre: Fiction; Author: Didier van Cauwelaert; Publisher: Other Press
Posted December 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Big Brother': James explains why he trashed the house during the veto competition
- Michelle Obama wished Beyoncé a happy birthday on Twitter
- Jason Biggs' son picked book perfect for his 'American Pie' past
- 'Big Brother': Meg on her biggest mistake and that drunken night with Clay
- Pink says she has no issue with Demi Lovato after critical VMAs comments
- See a peculiar teaser for 'Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children'
- Here's who's returning to 'Nashville' in season 4 ...
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!