What’s with that harem of Japanese chicks following Gwen Stefani everywhere she goes? They’re Harajuku girls, part of a schoolgirl subculture (named after a Tokyo shopping district), and now, apparently, Stefani’s muses. She mentions them on ”What You Waiting For?,” the new single from her solo CD Love. Angel. Music. Baby., and they’re all over the video. They even have a song devoted to them (called, yes, ”Harajuku Girls”). The girls dress up like futuristic comic-book heroines in high-fashion-meets-punk getups?knee-high boots, cutesy minidresses, extreme makeup?heaven for a budding designer like Stefani. And they make a wicked stylish entourage. A
Posted December 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Exclusive: Subway tunnel rave turns deadly in 'Survive the Night' trailer
- 'Edward Scissorhands' 25th anniversary Blu-ray: New details
- Demi Lovato: 'Summer' turns into fall
- The Roots play 'Rappers Delight' with the Philadelphia Mayor for Fourth of July
- John Oliver's Shallow Dive: 15 topics in 60(-ish) seconds
- Miley Cyrus cameos as a skateboarding heartthrob on 'Stone Quackers'
- Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle': Watch EW livestream of episodes 1 and 2 from Comic-Con Friday
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!