What’s with that harem of Japanese chicks following Gwen Stefani everywhere she goes? They’re Harajuku girls, part of a schoolgirl subculture (named after a Tokyo shopping district), and now, apparently, Stefani’s muses. She mentions them on ”What You Waiting For?,” the new single from her solo CD Love. Angel. Music. Baby., and they’re all over the video. They even have a song devoted to them (called, yes, ”Harajuku Girls”). The girls dress up like futuristic comic-book heroines in high-fashion-meets-punk getups?knee-high boots, cutesy minidresses, extreme makeup?heaven for a budding designer like Stefani. And they make a wicked stylish entourage. A
Posted December 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...