It’s ironic that in writing a play called Fat Pig about a dude who falls in love with an overweight chick, notoriously cruel playwright Neil LaBute has gone soft. But how else to explain this decent, talky little piece and the way it leaves us feeling like we missed the punchline? Jeremy Piven’s Tom is a perfect lovelorn fool; as his jerkwad friends, former Brat Packer Andrew McCarthy and Keri ”Who You Callin’ Felicity” Russell handle LaBute’s diminished nastiness with ease. But it’s Ashlie Atkinson (as the fat pig in question) who anchors this play with her humanity and, weirdly, leaves us wishing there’d been a little less of it.
Fat Pig It's ironic that in writing a play called Fat Pig about a dude who falls in love with an overweight chick, notoriously cruel playwright...Fat PigNeil LaBute It's ironic that in writing a play called Fat Pig about a dude who falls in love with an overweight chick, notoriously cruel playwright...2004-12-20
Starring: Ashlie Atkinson, Andrew McCarthy, Jeremy Piven, Keri Russell; Author: Neil LaBute; Opening Date: 12/15/2004
Posted December 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!