In a series of caustic, surreal dispatches to his high school alumni newsletter, misanthropic class of ‘89 grad Lewis Miner gleefully busts apart his former classmates’ egos by tastelessly — and often hilariously — revealing his (and their) dirtiest secrets, saving his most acidic bile for Principal Fontana, his bondage-loving archnemesis. He employs imaginative, disturbing turns of phrase to expose what we underdogs always knew about our more popular teenage peers: They were only famous in their own heads. (Miner fantasizes an ex-jock’s death: ”We could picture the startlement in our eyes, your brain meat chunked…your pecker would be puny with death.”) Full of feverishly violent interludes and coarse sexual humor, Home Land isn’t for the squeamish, and sometimes isn’t even coherent. But by its unexpectedly wistful end, Sam Lipsyte will have you feeling both lousy and moved.
Home Land In a series of caustic, surreal dispatches to his high school alumni newsletter, misanthropic class of '89 grad Lewis Miner gleefully busts apart his...Home LandFictionSam Lipsyte In a series of caustic, surreal dispatches to his high school alumni newsletter, misanthropic class of '89 grad Lewis Miner gleefully busts apart his...2004-12-20Picador USA
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sam Lipsyte; Publisher: Picador USA
Posted December 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!