In a series of caustic, surreal dispatches to his high school alumni newsletter, misanthropic class of ‘89 grad Lewis Miner gleefully busts apart his former classmates’ egos by tastelessly — and often hilariously — revealing his (and their) dirtiest secrets, saving his most acidic bile for Principal Fontana, his bondage-loving archnemesis. He employs imaginative, disturbing turns of phrase to expose what we underdogs always knew about our more popular teenage peers: They were only famous in their own heads. (Miner fantasizes an ex-jock’s death: ”We could picture the startlement in our eyes, your brain meat chunked…your pecker would be puny with death.”) Full of feverishly violent interludes and coarse sexual humor, Home Land isn’t for the squeamish, and sometimes isn’t even coherent. But by its unexpectedly wistful end, Sam Lipsyte will have you feeling both lousy and moved.
Home Land In a series of caustic, surreal dispatches to his high school alumni newsletter, misanthropic class of '89 grad Lewis Miner gleefully busts apart his...Home LandFictionSam Lipsyte In a series of caustic, surreal dispatches to his high school alumni newsletter, misanthropic class of '89 grad Lewis Miner gleefully busts apart his...2004-12-20Picador USA
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sam Lipsyte; Publisher: Picador USA
Posted December 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!