In a series of caustic, surreal dispatches to his high school alumni newsletter, misanthropic class of ‘89 grad Lewis Miner gleefully busts apart his former classmates’ egos by tastelessly — and often hilariously — revealing his (and their) dirtiest secrets, saving his most acidic bile for Principal Fontana, his bondage-loving archnemesis. He employs imaginative, disturbing turns of phrase to expose what we underdogs always knew about our more popular teenage peers: They were only famous in their own heads. (Miner fantasizes an ex-jock’s death: ”We could picture the startlement in our eyes, your brain meat chunked…your pecker would be puny with death.”) Full of feverishly violent interludes and coarse sexual humor, Home Land isn’t for the squeamish, and sometimes isn’t even coherent. But by its unexpectedly wistful end, Sam Lipsyte will have you feeling both lousy and moved.
Home Land In a series of caustic, surreal dispatches to his high school alumni newsletter, misanthropic class of '89 grad Lewis Miner gleefully busts apart his...Home LandFictionSam Lipsyte In a series of caustic, surreal dispatches to his high school alumni newsletter, misanthropic class of '89 grad Lewis Miner gleefully busts apart his...2004-12-20Picador USA
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sam Lipsyte; Publisher: Picador USA
Posted December 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Helen Mirren, Tom Cruise, The Baldwins & More!