La Cage Aux Folles is a show about homosexuals your most conservative grandmother could love — as cuddly, harmless, and rainbow bright as a Care Bear. This revival of the 1984 Tony winner for Best Musical plays up the show’s essential flaws: a mediocre score (virtually all of Jerry Herman’s songs sound the same) and book, with Harvey Fierstein’s Borscht Belt gay humor compounded here by Jerry Zaks’ ham-handed direction. The terrific Gary Beach does transvestite Albin justice (even if his performance is a dead-on impersonation of Nathan Lane), and the chorus of Les Cagelles overcome the Rockette choreography with pure zeal (and some very fetching costumes); based on the standing ovation at a recent performance, a man in a dress still goes a long way. On the other hand, you could just rent The Birdcage and save a bundle.
La Cage Aux Folles La Cage Aux Folles is a show about homosexuals your most conservative grandmother could love — as cuddly, harmless, and rainbow...La Cage Aux Folles La Cage Aux Folles is a show about homosexuals your most conservative grandmother could love — as cuddly, harmless, and rainbow...2004-12-20
Starring: Gary Beach; Opening Date: 12/09/2004
Posted December 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!