La Cage Aux Folles is a show about homosexuals your most conservative grandmother could love — as cuddly, harmless, and rainbow bright as a Care Bear. This revival of the 1984 Tony winner for Best Musical plays up the show’s essential flaws: a mediocre score (virtually all of Jerry Herman’s songs sound the same) and book, with Harvey Fierstein’s Borscht Belt gay humor compounded here by Jerry Zaks’ ham-handed direction. The terrific Gary Beach does transvestite Albin justice (even if his performance is a dead-on impersonation of Nathan Lane), and the chorus of Les Cagelles overcome the Rockette choreography with pure zeal (and some very fetching costumes); based on the standing ovation at a recent performance, a man in a dress still goes a long way. On the other hand, you could just rent The Birdcage and save a bundle.
La Cage Aux Folles La Cage Aux Folles is a show about homosexuals your most conservative grandmother could love — as cuddly, harmless, and rainbow...La Cage Aux Folles La Cage Aux Folles is a show about homosexuals your most conservative grandmother could love — as cuddly, harmless, and rainbow...2004-12-20
Starring: Gary Beach; Opening Date: 12/09/2004; Status: In Season
Posted December 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fall 2015 TV pilots: Updated full list
- Kanye West tweets apologies to Beck and Bruno Mars
- 'Agents of SHIELD' unveils new poster art: Here's 'Aftershocks'
- Elizabeth Hurley gets slap happy in 'Royals' clip: First Look
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller Wake halts production due to lack of funding
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in new issue of comic book
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for Amelia and Owen?
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!