La Cage Aux Folles is a show about homosexuals your most conservative grandmother could love — as cuddly, harmless, and rainbow bright as a Care Bear. This revival of the 1984 Tony winner for Best Musical plays up the show’s essential flaws: a mediocre score (virtually all of Jerry Herman’s songs sound the same) and book, with Harvey Fierstein’s Borscht Belt gay humor compounded here by Jerry Zaks’ ham-handed direction. The terrific Gary Beach does transvestite Albin justice (even if his performance is a dead-on impersonation of Nathan Lane), and the chorus of Les Cagelles overcome the Rockette choreography with pure zeal (and some very fetching costumes); based on the standing ovation at a recent performance, a man in a dress still goes a long way. On the other hand, you could just rent The Birdcage and save a bundle.
La Cage Aux Folles La Cage Aux Folles is a show about homosexuals your most conservative grandmother could love — as cuddly, harmless, and rainbow...La Cage Aux Folles La Cage Aux Folles is a show about homosexuals your most conservative grandmother could love — as cuddly, harmless, and rainbow...2004-12-20
Starring: Gary Beach; Opening Date: 12/09/2004
Posted December 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Dancing with the Stars' taps Alexa and Carlos PenaVega
- Box office preview: 'Straight Outta Compton' set for third weekend at the top
- O.J. Simpson documentaries to air on A&E and LMN
- 'Grandfathered' enlists JoAnna Garcia Swisher
- Things look dark in trailer for Kristen Wiig's new movie 'Nasty Baby'
- Bill Murray earns his 20 percent in 'Rock the Kasbah' trailer
- Daniel Craig's go-to hangover cure is ...
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!