The first half of Susan Vreeland’s collection (titled ”Then”) consists of nine stories about noted Impressionist and Postimpressionist painters from the perspective of the ordinary people around them. Trouble is, her not-so-still lives of Cezanne and Co. aren’t all that colorful from a second banana’s point of view. In the semi-fictional ”Winter of Abandon,” Claude Monet’s mistress Alice Hoschedé depicts her lover as self-absorbed, work-obsessed, and totally broke. That’s not a portrait of the artist — it’s a Polaroid. Life Studies’s second half (titled ”Now”) is far stronger, offering nine contemporary vignettes about how art with a capital A impacts the lives of a construction worker, an orphan, and other lowercase folks.
Life Studies The first half of Susan Vreeland's collection (titled ''Then'') consists of nine stories about noted Impressionist and Postimpressionist painters from...Life StudiesFictionSusan Vreeland The first half of Susan Vreeland's collection (titled ''Then'') consists of nine stories about noted Impressionist and Postimpressionist painters from...2004-12-20Viking
Genre: Fiction; Author: Susan Vreeland; Publisher: Viking
Posted December 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!